Friday, August 9, 2013

What's Up Wed--um, Friday?


Like I said in my belated Teaser Tuesday post, I was in Pittsburgh for a few days and didn’t get a chance to do my regular posts. So here’s my What’s Up Wednesday: Friday edition!

What I’m Reading
Still in my rotation of THE PARTICULAR SADNESS OF LEMON CAKE and ANNA KARENINA, but now I’ve added Chris Colfer’s new Land of Stories book, THE ENCHANTRESS RETURNS, to the mix. I reviewed his first middle grade book here and kept no secrets about how big a fan I was of it. The second book in the trilogy is not letting me down!

What I’m Writing
I made it to 34K this week (a bit belatedly, I hit my total Wednesday night during a YA Buccaneers word sprint, but I’m still counting it!). My new goal is 36K, which isn’t much but will be challenging since I’ll be seeing friends this weekend AND trying to pack for The Big Move.

What Inspires Me Right Now
Pittsburgh! I can’t wait to get out there and start my MFA program and new job.

What Else I’ve Been Up To
I was in Pittsburgh Tues-Thurs for job training. I got a job in Student Activities, helping plan their late night and traditional events (Thanksgiving dinner, a holiday ball, Battle of the Classes, yearly things). I love my coworkers and supervisors, everyone is SO nice and fun! I’m moving on the 17th to start work a week before all the students come back. Hopefully that’ll give me enough time to get a handle on everything.


This was my first solo road trip (5 hours, 2 hotels, 1 pizza, 3 overpriced cups of coffee and season 2 of Gilmore Girls) and, while it was a little nerve-wracking (I was on the bottom floor of a motel my first night and could hear people outside…of course I texted my mom, convinced they were ax murderers), I had a lot of fun. I got to explore the city a little, found some fun restaurants AND a huge Barnes and Noble. I’m excited to be back in a town where I can walk places (in my hometown you have to drive 12 minutes to get anywhere).  I’m going to miss my family and college friends, but I think this move is going to be good for me!  

3 comments:

  1. YAY for surviving your trip! That French toast looks ah-mazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great time in Pittsburgh! I'm sending so many kudos your way for going on a solo road trip ... it takes a lot of gumption for that. Also ... I totally feel like eating pizza now. Thanks a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your road trip sounds like it was a lot of fun, even if it was a bit nerve-racking. I don't know if I could do a solo road trip. And that new job sounds like it will be really cool, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete