Monday, December 23, 2013

My Reading List (for fun)

All semester I've kept track of the fun books I want to read once I have time. Well...now I have time, and here are the books I'm looking forward to exploring!

This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13503109-this-is-how-you-lose-her

I read OSCAR WAO for school and really like his writing style and voice. This is his new short story collection. I’ve read snippets from it, and the stories seem funny and sad at the same time.
 

How to Love by Katie Cotugno
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17332564-how-to-love
I’ve seen all sorts of buzz about this book on the YA blogs. I see it whenever I walk into Barnes and Noble. The first sentence of the Amazon blurb says, “For fans of Sarah Dessen and John Green, How to Love is a breathtaking debut about a couple who falls in love . . . twice.” Hmm, fan of Sarah Dessen, check! Fan of John Green, check!

 
East of Eden by John Steinbeck

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4406.East_of_Eden

I admit, the reason I bought this at the used bookstore is because Jennifer Lawrence has reportedly signed on to star in a movie adaptation of it (and she says it’s one of her favorite books), but I also thought I could use a reading challenge. I’ve read next to no Steinbeck (I dodged THE GRAPES OF WRATH in high school by opting for the Hemingway option, A FAREWELL TO ARMS, instead), so I figured I’d give it a try!
 

Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13477676-forgive-me-leonard-peacock
By the author of SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK, this book is about a boy planning to bring a gun to school and shoot his former best friend (and then himself). Before this, however, he has to say goodbye to the important people in his life, revealing his secrets to the reader along the way. Quick has a strong sense of voice, and the plot sounds super intriguing.

 
Leap of Faith by Jaime Blair
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17299264-leap-of-faith
I read the book blurb online a bunch of times and didn’t understand what the buzz was about…UNTIL I read the excerpt on Amazon. THE WRITING STYLE. THE LANGUAGE. Even though I haven’t read the book yet, I can already see that the small summary (girl with a baby and a secret life falling in love in a new town) doesn’t do it justice. There’s a pretty messed up mom and a MC with an awful home life and a ton of responsibility on her shoulders. Really looking forward to this one!

 
Have you read any of these books? Love them/hate them? Other recommendations? Fill me in! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment