Monday, January 6, 2014

What is your favorite quote and why?

So I found this list called 101 Blog Post Ideas for Writers and decided to answer some since I'm totally out of ideas for blog posts that don't involve me salivating over the same books over and over OR rambling about how grad school is so much work. Gotta keep things exciting over here! ;)

Today's question is: What is your favorite quote and why?

Right now I’m loving John Green’s quote on being a nerd from one of his video blogs (which I highly recommend watching because this man is HILARIOUS). I’m loving it so much, I’ve made it my resolution for 2014. I blogged about it in my New Years Resolution post, but basically John defines “nerd” as someone who is unironically enthusiastic about the things he or she loves, whether it’s books, movies, TV shows, anything that brings them joy. They don’t downplay their excitement when the next movie adaptation of their favorite book comes out in an effort to be “cool.” That’s the kind of person I want to be in 2014.
 
Here's the direct quote: "…nerds like us are allowed to be unironically enthusiastic about stuff. We don’t have to be like, ‘Oh yeah that purse is okay’ or like, ‘Yeah, I like that band’s early stuff.’ Nerds are allowed to love stuff, like jump-up-and-down-in-the-chair-can’t-control-yourself-love it. Hank, when people call people nerds, mostly what they are saying is, ‘You like stuff’, which is just not a good insult at all, like ‘You are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness’."
 
As for favorite book quotes…that is too overwhelming a topic for me to comprehend.    


What's your favorite quote, bookish or otherwise?

Let me know if you answer any of the 101 Blog Post Ideas questions on your blog. I'd love to read them!

2 comments:

  1. Oh boy, I'm such a quote fanatic that I don't know if I can choose only one. Right now I'm loving something that was said in Saving Mr. Banks -- "That's what storytellers do with their imaginations. They instill hope again and again and again." Another I adore is -- "If you want to know where your heart is, look to where your mind goes when it wanders."

    Also: love the idea of those blog prompts. I'm off to take a look at them now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saving Mr. Banks was SUCH a good movie! Especially exploring the whole idea of the authors who sell their books' movie rights. Movie adaptations of books are SO HUGE, it was cool to see the effect it had on a particular author, especially one as stubborn and picky (and invested) as she was!

      Delete