Wednesday, March 12, 2014

What's Up Wednesday

It's Wednesday already???

What I’m Reading
I recently finished CINDER, the first book in The Lunar Chronicles series, and I LOVED IT. My review will be up soon! I’m currently reading the memoir ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK by Piper Kerman. Piper is coming to speak at my grad school on the 20th, so I’m hoping to finish (or at least get partway through) the book before her talk.

I’ve also started THIS STAR WON’T GO OUT, written by Esther Earl, a sixteen-year-old girl who died from thyroid cancer at age 16. She was a friend of John Green and part of his inspiration for THE FAULT IN OUR STARS (though John always insists that Hazel is not Esther…Esther would never watch America’s Next Top Model!). The book is a combination of Esther’s journals, her parents’ thoughts, family photos, snippets from her doctors, and includes an introduction written by John Green. Not to mention the entire book is in color and printed on super awesome quality paper. It’s really a gorgeous book, and I’m enjoying getting to know who this beautiful girl was. <3   

What I’m Writing
Since I’m on my Spring Break, I’m giving myself some time away from school assignments. I’m drafting up a bunch of blog posts for here, though! Get ready for a tidal wave of book reviews!!!

What Inspires Me Right Now
My family. I’m so happy to be home for the week and just spend time with them. I went out to breakfast one morning with Mom, and she and Dad both took me out to dinner another night. My brother and I freaked out over the end of Once Upon a Time’s winter hiatus…it’s FINALLY back on television!! I’m enjoying the relaxation, just hanging out at home.

What Else Is New
Like I said earlier, Once Upon a Time is back on TV! A great first episode on Sunday night, and the previews look like even more wicked (!!!) things are about to happen!

I also…bought some books. I may have a problem.

 
To be fair, the one on the bottom is a puzzle. But still.


Happy Wednesday, all! Hopefully spring is finally on its way!

17 comments:

  1. Do you like Orange is the new Black? We watched the season on Netflix and loved it, but heard the book was a thumbs down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm liking it so far! I've never seen the show (I live in a cave and don't have Netflix, haha!) so I can't compare that way. I talked to another girl at Chatham who couldn't get past page 40 or so, but I'm super intrigued by the inner workings/routines/unspoken rules of prison she talks about. I always tend to read memoirs slowly, though.

      I'll let you know my thoughts when I finish, but so far I like it!

      Delete
  2. I still haven't read any of the Lunar Chronicle books, but do have them on my list. I have heard really wonderful things about them. I think taking a break is always a good idea. It's important to recharge your batteries. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend the Lunar Chronicles. I had so much fun reading CINDER and just started SCARLET! I hope you like them if/when you get around to reading them. :)

      Delete
  3. Love that photo of you and your books! I've watched the first few episodes of Orange is the New Black on Netflix and they were really funny. That's a series I need to pick back up now that I'm done with FNL. Glad you're having a good time with your family, Kaitlin. Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen the show but have heard it's great! Yet another reason why I need to get Netflix! ;) Have a great week too!

      Delete
  4. You'll no doubt be pleased to know (as if you couldn't guess) that the rest of the Lunar Chronicles books--at least up through CRESS--are also spectacularly awesome. :)

    And speaking as a parent, parents are awesome too. Something else you already knew. ;)

    Have a wonderful, restful week, Kaitlin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOORAY for the Lunar Chronicles continuing to be great! I've heard each one gets better than the last. Have a great week too! :)

      Delete
  5. I am woefully far behind on OUAT, but since it's on Netflix now it shouldn't be too difficult to get mostly caught up. I should do that soon! I'm so happy you liked CINDER. The books just get better and better, so you have that to look forward to. Enjoy your Spring Break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you catch up soon, season 3 has been great so far! And I'm so glad to hear that the Lunar Chronicles keep getting better. I just started SCARLET...exciting! Have a great week, Jaime! :)

      Delete
  6. Hi, Kaitlin! That picture of you is so cute! That's how my arms look after spending time in a bookstore. Except I have a huge grin on my face and my husband is the one grimacing, LoL! :) I totally forgot to check out Once Upon a Time. I don't watch that show, but the promos for the Wicked Witch made me want to. The Wizard of Oz is one of my favorite movies and book series!

    Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura! Haha my grimace was brought on by some quick price calculations for the books. ;) But I'm always pretty giddy when I buy books, and whoever is with me just shakes their head.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Still need to get and read the lunar chronicles. Can't wait for your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend them...so much fun to read! My review will be up soon! :)

      Delete
  8. Wow, that is a lot of books! Happy reading :D Sounds like you're having a fantastic spring break, too ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so excited that OUAT is back! I loved the first episode and can't wait to watch more!
    Enjoy your Spring Break!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm happy that OUAT is back. Sunday's episode was good. I can't wait to see where they go with it. I've seen a few episodes of Orange is the New Black on Netflix but I haven't read the memoir. I see The Darkest Minds in your pile. It was one of my favorites last year. I hope you enjoy it. Enjoy your Spring Break. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete