Thursday, March 31, 2016

March Reading Wrap-Up

March was a great reading month for me, quality-wise. I read some of my favorite books of the year (so far, anyway)! I'd recommend every book on this list (NEVER FADE is a sequel, though, so if you're looking to start the series, read THE DARKEST MINDS first).
 
Here we go!
 
THE WEIGHT OF FEATHERS by Anna-Marie McLemore
This story has been described as Romeo and Juliet meets THE NIGHT CIRCUS, which is spot-on. Lace comes from a family of mermaid exhibitionists (they wear tails and swim underwater) while Cluck’s family straps on wings and scale the tallest trees. The family rivalry runs deeper than performance competition, and with a touch of magical realism and romance, this story finds the perfect balance. So, so unique and beautiful.

 
NEVER FADE by Alexandra Bracken
Continuing my Darkest Minds series reread. I enjoyed this much more the second time around. Loved seeing Ruby’s character development!

 
KILL THE BOY BAND by Goldy Moldavsky
Four fangirls of boy band The Ruperts accidentally-kind-of-on-purpose kidnap a member of the band. Things escalate. It’s hilarious, slightly terrifying, and reminiscent of Libba Bray’s BEAUTY QUEENS. A great examination of celebrity/fan culture and validation of fangirls. I loved every second of this one!

 
THE WINNER’S CURSE by Marie Rutkoski
I reread this in preparation for THE WINNER’S KISS release. Five stars once again! The writing is flawlessly crafted: so much symbolism and sharp prose. Kestrel is becoming one of my all-time favorite female protagonists. I’m planning to do a full series review (non-spoiler) once I read the final book, so stay tuned!

 
LADY MIDNIGHT by Cassandra Clare
Book one in Cassandra Clare’s new Shadowhunters series, The Dark Artifices. Emma tries to solve a series of Los Angeles murders that connect to her parents’ own deaths. Meanwhile, she fights her growing feelings for Julian, her parabati, and questions the strict rules of the Clave, the Shadowhunter governing body. Well-developed characters and a rich new piece of the Shadowhunter world.  

 
THE READERS OF BROKEN WHEEL RECOMMEND by Katarina Bivald
Imagine Belle never met the Beast and instead opened a bookstore in the town where everyone thinks she’s strange. You’ve got this book. It’s charming and full of bookish references from Jane Austen to THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO to Harry Potter. If you love books, you’ll like this. (Fun fact: it's a translation! Originally published in Sweden.)

 
 
EXIT, PURSUED BY A BEAR by E.K. Johnston
After Hermione Winters is drugged and raped at cheerleading camp, she has to cope with her lack of memories surrounding the assault. Thankfully, she has a best friend to lean on. Such a powerful book. I really loved this one. Check out my full review here.
 
 
I loved all the books I read this month. They're all so different: satire, magical realism, urban fantasy, tough issue contemp... Not sure I can pick a favorite!
 
What's your favorite March read? Have you picked up any of these? Are they on your TBR?
 

 
 

4 comments:

  1. Wow -- EXIT, PURSUED BY A BEAR sounds so intense. I'd heard of it, but because of its title, I had no idea what it was about. My interest is definitely piqued.

    I'm so glad you enjoyed FEATHERS. I feel like everyone need to read it because it's just so beautiful and moving. And yay for the WINNER'S books! I hope you *love* KISS. Thanks for the reviews, Kaitlin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXIT is supposed to be a retelling of Shakespeare's THE WINTER'S TALE, (which I've never read, so I don't know how closely the novel follows). It's a tough book, but there's an underlying message of hope that I really loved. Let me know if you read it, I'd love to hear what you think!

      Delete
  2. I just posted my review of Kill the Boy Band as well! Loved loved loved the Winner's Curse series and so glad that i have the final installment in my fingertips. I'm reading The Weight of Feathers in the beginning of April so your little wrap up gives me hope!

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy THE WEIGHT OF FEATHERS, Alex! The writing is beautiful, and I've never read a plot quite like it before. And KILL THE BOY BAND is just so much fun!

      Delete