Thursday, April 28, 2016

Currently: musicals and YA Buccanners bootcamp

Linking up with Katy Upperman for another "Currently" post! Here's what I'm currently...
 
Loving
Messy buns. I think this is what I was “loving” in my last Currently post too, so I think I’ve entered obsession territory. I love having my hair out of my face after years of it being too short. Plus this is the same messy bun technique I couldn’t master (for whatever reason) in middle school even after observing all the popular lacrosse/field hockey from afar while they undid and redid theirs in class. Twelve years later, and I’m clearly making up for lost time.
*Plus, it’s the only updo I can wear to yoga. I can lie flat on my back and not crush it because it’s practically on top of my head.  
 
Reading
IN THE AFTERLIGHT by Alexandra Bracken. Finishing the Darkest Minds series has been on my TBR for a year and a half, and I’m finally reading the last book. Most of it has been a little slow so far (lots of planning/strategizing), but I just hit the last quarter of the book and OH MAN, stuff is happening!
 
I also just finished THE WAY I USED TO BE. Holy smokes, guys. The character development in this book is incredible. The story follows Eden through all four years of high school after she is raped by her older brother's best friend. It's a completely character driven story, showing how the assault shapes Eden's sense of self and decision-making. As a writer who focuses on character more than plot (I've recently realized I'm plot-challenged), I was in awe.


 
Watching
I spent the weekend at a friend’s house, and all we did was watch musical movies. Chicago, Phantom of the Opera, Hairspray…and Hunchback of Notre-Dame (gotta have some Disney for good measure). I’m on a serious musical kick right now!
 
Listening To


THE NIGHT CIRCUS audiobook (OverDrive app comes through for me again)! I’m obsessed with Jim Dale’s Harry Potter narrations, and he reads this book too. I read THE NIGHT CIRCUS when it first came out, but now that my reading tastes have matured and changed I’m enjoying it even more! A slow-burning plot (which I think tripped me up the first time, but I’m in awe of it now) and the writing is delicious.
 
Thinking About
Buying a new planner! I’m still on the academic calendar schedule and am itching for a new full planner (I’m too impatient to buy quarterly ones to get me through to January). Inkwell Press is doing academic planners this year, and I’m considering trying one out. I’ve heard only good things!
 
Anticipating


The YA Buccaneers are doing another Spring Bootcamp (May 1-June 30)! I’ve already signed up and outlined my goals. I’ll mostly be revising, so hopefully bootcamp will be the kick in the pants I need to get some of these things done!
 
Wishing
For my upcoming search for sneakers to be quick and easy! My running sneakers are starting to hurt my feet, but I’ve been putting off shopping. Sneakers are the hardest shoe for me to shop for (I’m much more a boot person). Wish me luck!
 
Making Me Happy
I had a tricky task at work this week that I handled the right way. There were questions and dissatisfaction surrounding something my department handles, and I provided all the information I could, then passed the task up the department ladder. I had to look over a lot of policy/conduct documents and managed not to make my head spin! As it turns out, our department is in the right on the issue, so I’m victory-dancing!
 
Have a great week, everyone! What have you been up to lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment