Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Review: Know My Name

Know My Name Know My Name by Chanel Miller
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

If you only read one book this year, let it be KNOW MY NAME. Chanel Miller is a sexual assault survivor. She is also an artist and writer, and her storytelling skills awed me as I read her memoir. Her voice is sharp, poignant, even funny and sarcastic at times. And she has a story to tell.

In KNOW MY NAME, we follow Chanel from the night of her assault on the Stanford campus, through her trial and ongoing recovery. We sit next to her as she has a panic attack in her car on the phone with a sexual assault hotline operator. We accompany her to RISD, where she takes a printmaking class as an escape from her Palo Alto hometown, now tainted with memories of her assault. We listen to the stand-up comedy she performs while living in Philly with her boyfriend.

And we sit beside her in the courtroom. We learn about the legal process and its unfairness along with her. We are outraged with her. And at every second, we feel honored she has allowed us to remain at her side.

Chanel also shares her perspective on events that have occurred since her trial ended, like the 2016 election and the #MeToo movement.

This should be required reading in high school, college, everywhere. If you have a pulse, please read this book (or listen, Chanel narrates her audiobook). Chanel Miller offers the point of view of survivors who are too often silenced. She will make you look. She will make you listen. And once you learn her name, you won’t forget it.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Hello Kaitlin. I am a Pastor from MUMBAI, I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I AM ALSO BLESSED and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you and bout your interest in the books being a writer. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the PASTORAL ministry for last 40 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrst where richest of rich nd the poorest of poor live. We reach ou t to the pooreset of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the borknehearted. We also encourge yuung and the adults from the west to come to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai to work with us during your vacation time I am sure you will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you your family and friends. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Wishing you a blessed christmas season and a bright and a Christ cenetered coming New year 2020

    ReplyDelete