Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Review: ELIZA HAMILTON: THE EXTRAORDINARY LIFE AND TIMES OF THE WIFE OF ALEXANDER HAMILTON

Eliza Hamilton: The Extraordinary Life and Times of the Wife of Alexander HamiltonEliza Hamilton: The Extraordinary Life and Times of the Wife of Alexander Hamilton by Tilar J. Mazzeo
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm so happy Eliza Schuyler Hamilton finally has a full-length biography of her own! This was a fascinating and well-researched account of Eliza's life, a feat that must've been incredibly difficult since women's lives were rarely documented in the 1700s-1800s. It has been speculated that Eliza burned much of her correspondence with Alexander, too, which must've made her an even more challenging subject to research.

I learned so much about Eliza that wasn't covered in Ron Chernow's Hamilton biography (or Hamilton the musical). Tilar Mazzeo also presents a new theory on the Reynolds Affair based on what we know about Eliza's reaction to the situation. While I'm not sure how much I agree, it was fascinating to read.

The book uses the occasional line from Hamilton, which actually pulled me out of the flow a bit, and at times felt a little clunky when it tried to assign certain emotions to Eliza (we have no way of knowing how she felt in many situations). Other than that, it was well-written and I flew through it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment