Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Review: THE MIDNIGHT LIE

The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)The Midnight Lie by Marie Rutkoski
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I started THE MIDNIGHT LIE shortly after rereading The Winner's trilogy. It is set in a new country in the same world, and we follow Nirrim, a member of the lowest class in the country of Herrath. Class structure and struggles is the main focus of this story, along with a delicious romance between Nirrim and Sid, a traveler she meets after being arrested for a crime she did not commit. Sid makes her begin to question the possibility of magic and why members of Nirrim's class are under such harsh restrictions (unable to leave the Ward, can only wear certain colors and eat certain foods).

I struggled with the first half of this book, but I think it was because I listened to the audiobook and didn't like the narrator. Once my audio hold expired and I turned to the physical book, my feelings toward the story improved immensely. Marie Rutkoski's worldbuilding and prose are delicious (as usual). The plot is a slow-burn, in her usual style, and she spends most of the time developing her characters into fully dimensional people. I love the dynamic and banter between Nirrim and Sid, and the relationship between Nirrim and her guardian, Raven, is complex and tragic. I kept my eyes peeled for even the smalest hints of the countries and characters from the Winner's trilogy, and I was not disappointed!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment