Tuesday, July 31, 2012

South Africa: A Week at Mdumbi (part 1)

During our time at Mdumbi, I settled into a routine, which was a nice way to break up all the instability of traveling. I love being in a new place every day, but sometimes it gets tiring. It's nice to eat breakfast at the same time every day...
 
  
...going to the nearby village with our guides/translators...

 ...hanging out by the bonfire every night before dinner...
...then going inside for home-cooked meals like this! Spaghetti bolognese with Xhosa bread (I always went back for seconds...and thirds...)


 I slept on the top bunk of an eight-person hut that had geckos crawling out of the ceiling (barely slept at all the first night, and before I went to sleep every night I prayed for no geckos to crawl over my face while I slept. Thankfully, my prayers were answered.)


 I even got used to the bathrooms!

But my favorite part was seeing this view from my front door every day. 

I'm breaking my week at Mdumbi up into a few posts, since there's so much to talk about! Check back soon for part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment