Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday (on Wednesday…oops.): Let’s Talk Classics

Once again I'm linking up with The Broke and the Bookish for Top Ten Tuesday, even though today is actually Wednesday...oops! Today we're talking about classics, those books we all say we want to read more of. I'm splitting my list in half: five classics I love and five I can't wait to read. 


My Five Favorite Classics
1. THE GREAT GATSBY by F. Scott Fitzgerald (A short but powerful read. Every time I pick it up, I learn something new.)
2. ANNA KARENINA by Leo Tolstoy (I just finished this book after a looooong time spent reading. Once you sort out all the complicated names, it's a fantastic story. I recommend the Penguin translation -- it's excellent!)
3. THE SUN ALSO RISES by Ernest Hemingway (Similar time period as THE GREAT GATSBY, follows a group of disillusioned twenty-and-thirty somethings on an adventure to Spain.) 
4. PRIDE AND PREJUDICE by Jane Austen (Obviously this is one of everyone's favorites. It's been a while since I read it but it was the first classic I read and really enjoyed.)
5. FAHRENHEIT 451 by Ray Bradbury (Another short but relevant read about censorship and how it could escalate in the future.)

Five Classics I Want to Read
1. EAST OF EDEN by John Steinbeck (A retelling of the Book of Genesis that is possibly being adapted into a movie with Jennifer Lawrence. Of course I need to give it a try!)
2. WAR AND PEACE by Leo Tolstoy (After finishing ANNA KARENINA, this is the logical next--slightly overwhelming--step.)
3. TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD by Harper Lee (I know, I know...*hides head in shame* I should've read this years ago.)
4. JANE EYRE by Charlotte Bronte (Another one I feel like everyone but me has read!)
5. THE CATCHER IN THE RYE by J.D. Salinger (Often called an ancestor of YA lit, I can't wait to see if I love or hate the main character.)

What are some of your favorite classics? Any on your TBR list right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment