Monday, July 13, 2015

Ready, Set, WRITE! Week 6

Ready. Set. WRITE! is a summer writing intensive that encourages goal-setting and accountability, and provides an opportunity for us to cheer each other on wherever we’re at with our writing projects—planning, drafting, revising, or polishing.  This year, your RSW hosts are Alison MillerJaime MorrowErin FunkElodie Nowodazkij, and Katy Upperman.
 
How I did on last week's goals: 4K was my goal once again, and I wrote 4,400! I also accomplished my exercise goal of working out 4 times this week. I managed to jog for 15 straight minutes on the treadmill, something I've NEVER done before in my life. It was a BIG day! :)
 
My goals for this week: Since I've been neglecting my secondary RSW goal of revising short stories from my thesis, I'm going to focus on that a bit more this week. By next week I would like to have one story revised. This is my first time returning to my thesis since I defended it back in April...are those nerves I feel in my stomach? :O 
 
I don't want to lose momentum on my current manuscript, though, so I plan on writing new scenes at least twice this week. No word count goal, just writing what I feel like writing.
 
A favorite line from my story: I’m just saying I understand. And that you never really get the whole friendship thing figured out. People disappoint you one second and become your hero the next. No way to predict it or prepare for it. It just happens.”
 
Biggest challenge this week: My pantser writing style is finally catching up with me. I’ve sat down at my computer several times this week and realized I have no clue where the story should go next. So I’ve had to take a step back and outline a few scenes. Nothing major, just a list of situations I’d like to put my characters in and see how they react.
 
Something I love about my WiP: The surprising sort-of-friendship-sisterly-bond-thing that has sprung up between my narrator (who is 23) and a fifteen year old girl named Sasha. They're both struggling with their own friendships and being let down by friends, and they're starting to bond over that. The quote above is something Autumn, my narrator, tells Sasha.  
 
 
Okay, so how did everyone else do this week?

12 comments:

  1. Love the lines you shared, Kaitlin! And wow! You're doing so well with your goals! I'm very impressed with what you accomplished this week. :-) I think I'm a weird hybrid of plotter and pantser, so when I hit those parts in my WiP that I very clearly pantsed, I run into problems. Back to the drawing board, right? Sounds like you've got this well in hand, though. Hope this is another great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jaime! RSW is doing wonders with keeping me in line. :) I'm back at the drawing board to figure out a few holes in my story, but I still love the unknown. Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. Ah, the perils of pantsing (which I totally feel right now too...), but the upside is that our stories surprise us, right? And you seem to have come out of it with a very, very awesome excerpt there. :) Congratulations on exceeding your goals (particular congratulations on the running!) and good luck for this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pax! And I really love when my stories surprise me. I'm more motivated to write when I don't already know what's going to happen...the exploration is great!

      Have a good week!

      Delete
  3. I adore your excerpt, Kaitlin -- it rings so true. Big congrats on surpassing your goal! You're doing awesome this summer. :-) And yay for your jogging success! Before you know it, you'll be running miles and miles. Have a wonderful week, lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Katy! I wrote that excerpt and kind of took a step back and just looked at it...as of right now, it sums up what I want my entire manuscript to be about. I've never had that big of an aha! moment with a line before.

      And miles and miles=my end goal! I'd love to run a 5K (if not officially, on my own in a time I'm proud of).

      Have a great week too!

      Delete
  4. Good job hitting those goals, and when the drive is there, it is hard to move away and work on something else. Enjoyed the excerpt-rings true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I had my first writing session away from my current project last night (doing revisions on some short stories for a change), and it was strange not spending time with my usual characters. Maybe absence will make me love them even more! ;)

      Delete
  5. Congrats on meeting your goal again, especially with the pants challenge. And that is a great excerpt too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alicia! The pantsing has added a couple challenges, but I'm still loving all the surprises I find as I go along. :)

      Delete
  6. Yes, the pantser "what do I do now?!" thing is the worst! It all seems so good up until you don't know where you're going anymore, right? Taking a step back to do some light outlining/planning usually works for me, too, so I hope it gets you back on track. And I love both your excerpt about friendship and the sound of the one you're writing. Sometimes the best friendships do come from the most unexpected places. Hope you have a great writing week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becky! I had a couple moments of mild terror when my mind just went blank and had no clue what my characters should do. I think I've pushed through that stage now, though.

      Have a great week!

      Delete