Thursday, August 11, 2011

Finding time to write

YA Highway's Road Trip Wednesday post this week is about writing time. I found this interesting since I will soon be revamping my writing schedule, so I thought I'd respond to the post.

What time do you prefer to do your writing? Early Worm? Night Owl ? Any five seconds you can grab?

In the writing world, I have never been known for consistency. My schedule is always random, especially since I started college, so I’m forced to squeeze my writing time into any spare minute I can find. Well, on a motivated day, at least. Those nasty, lazy days, I have a thousand excuses, my favorite being: The writing won’t be as high-quality if my mind isn’t all there.

Of course, there are times when my brain is all there and the writing still stinks. Clearly, this habit is no good. In the fall, this hobby will become my major, and I’ll be getting graded on my ability to not procrastinate. Some changes need to be made, color-coded schedules will be implemented, and I’ll have to become less flighty about my writing. I’ll only be taking four classes at Susquehanna this semester (but they are all four credits), so hopefully it will free up some writing time that I didn’t have at Penn State. I need to schedule in a strict amount of time where I just sit and write. No TV, no gym, no food, just writing. And it has to be the same every day, otherwise I won’t stick to it.

What about you other writers out there? Do you have a set writing time, or do you squeeze it in whenever you have a moment?  

3 comments:

  1. I have a set writing time, but it fluctuates depending on my mood and what else I have going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know we've discussed this before, but I so admire you for fitting in writing time along with everything else you have going on. When I think back to my college days, I can't imagine writing full books along with everything else.

    My writing time is definitely in the morning. Honestly, I can't imagine sitting down in the afternoon or night and just starting to work then. It'd totally mess with my routine. There's something very inspirational about the morning to me - the idea of the whole, fresh day ahead - and I love starting every one off with writing time :)

    Looking forward to hearing about how things go once you're at SU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a morning person. By 2pm I have hit slumpsville. I also can't get going until it's properly light outside, but since I live in Ireland that rules out early mornings for about 8 months of the year, which seriously cramps my schedule. If I lived near the equator I'd be Margaret Atwood by now (that's what I tell myself anyway).

    ReplyDelete