Wednesday, June 27, 2012

What I’m Reading This Summer

1. Anna Karenina – Leo Tolstoy: I made it my summer goal to read this entire book. It’s over 800 pages and translated from Russian. The version I bought won an award for being a great translation, which I think is part of the reason I’m enjoying it so much…I can actually understand it. I’m only 100 pages in so far, but I’m determined to finish it by the end of summer!

2. House of Sand and Fog – Andre Dubus III: The author is a friend of Tom Bailey’s, and Tom has recommended this book to me several times. One of the girls on the South Africa trip with me was reading it and said it was fantastic.

3. Black Tickets – Jayne Anne Phillips: Another recommendation from Tom. The author was one of his mentors when he was in school. Collection of short stories.

4. The Good Girl’s Guide to Getting Lost: A Memoir of Three Continents, Two Friends, and One Unexpected Adventure – Rachel Friedman: I’ve never read a travel memoir before, but since coming home from Africa, I’ve been itching to travel everywhere and write about it. Maybe I can pick up some tips from this book!

5. Please Ignore Vera Dietz – A.S. King: This is a Printz Honor book, and I generally trust and love the books selected for this award (John Green, Melina Marchetta, etc).


Books I’ve already read this summer: Insurgent by Veronica Roth, City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare, An Abundance of Katherines by John Green.


What are you reading this summer?

UPDATE: As of 6/29, I have ordered all five of these books from Amazon. I'm way too excited about this!

3 comments:

  1. I have so many books on my to-read list, I don't think the summer's long enough to get through them all! :P I'm most looking forward to Emily's newest - counting down the days until it's released next month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how Emily's book is! I looked up the synopsis and read an excerpt...it sounds super interesting!

      Delete
    2. I am SO EXCITED that this one has an adoption storyline and can't wait to chat with her about it! Her books are always amazing, and I have a feeling this will be one of my favorites! :)

      Delete