Friday, August 3, 2012

Friday Five: Writing Goals for Senior Year

I'm very goal-oriented, and I make lists of what I want to accomplish during a certain period of time. Here are my goals for my senior year at Susquehanna:


1. Crank out the short stories. I’m shooting for four a semester. Spring might be tough because I’m planning on taking a novel writing class that will take up a huge chunk of my time, but I need tons of short stories for my senior honors project and Scholars House project.

2. Write every morning. I did this for a while last year, but once I joined my sorority, my early morning writing time turned into my doing-the-homework-I couldn’t-finish-last-night time. I want to keep my writing time purely for writing, even if it’s just for an hour.

3. Make a good impression on the department head, who is also my professor this semester. I’m taking his advanced fiction class, and I’d really love for him to write me a letter of recommendation for grad school. I just need to impress him first.

4. Have one of my pieces published. Somewhere. Anywhere. In an on-campus literary magazine, a website, I don’t care. I just want someone to read my work and like it enough to publish it for other people to see.

5. Get accepted into grad school. I am currently terrified about this. Not only do I want to be accepted into grad school, I want it to be a program I love. So many of them are very competitive and admission is selective, and I’m afraid my writing won’t be what the department is looking for. I just hope someone connects with my stories and style and wants to take me on as a graduate student. Here’s to hoping!

5 comments:

  1. Yay for writing every morning! :)

    Also - I truly believe that so many grad schools are going to offer you a chance to study there. Your writing is absolutely fantastic ... I have no doubt they'll all be impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shari! I love having you to talk to, and believe me, you'll be hearing all about the grad school application drama that's on its way in the next few months!

      Delete
  2. Your writing is great! You are going to get into a grad school!! I have such high hopes for you and wish you the best of luck in applying and the whole process! :) Can't wait to see how the journey pans out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 <3 <3. Thanks girl! This just made me smile so much. :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I like your goals -- I need to write down my goals more often; I tend to write them in my head but not on paper/screen, which means no actual deadlines. It's always helpful to keep working toward something; especially when school ends, it can be more challenging to accomplish when you're not living in a semester-oriented world.

    ReplyDelete