Friday, March 28, 2014

How to enjoy writing time

I'm drawing today's blog inspiration from the list of 101 Blog Post Ideas for Writers. Let me know if you do the same!

Today's topic: How to enjoy writing time (or how to get your butt in the chair and keep it there)
Sometimes getting my butt into my computer chair is SUCH a task. I can always think of a thousand (lazy) things I'd rather do than work on the story that has been giving me trouble for two weeks. So I try and find small ways to make it fun. (These tips will work for general homework and tasks, too, even if you aren't a writer!) 
Coffee in my WRITER mug.
This is probably my most Instagrammed item (usually posed in front of my laptop). It’s from Castle, my favorite TV show (where the MC is also a writer!), and it always makes me feel more official.
Out and about.
I'm prone to getting distracted in my apartment, so sometimes I prefer to write (or do homework in general) other places. Most of these places involve coffee. The week before our seminar papers were due, almost everyone from my Readings in Fiction class took over the local Panera all day long and wrote pages and pages and pages for our papers. I spent ten hours there and wrote fifteen pages. Writing with other people is nice because there's always someone to watch your laptop when you go to the bathroom or grab a coffee refill.
Rewards!
Sensing a theme here?
I take breaks, grab an oatmeal raisin cookie, watch an episode of Gilmore girls (but just one!). Don't force yourself to write for hours and hours and hours unless you're really on a roll. And before you take a break, make sure you're at a fun part of your story, something you'll be excited to come back to. Otherwise you'll dread returning to the story.
So what do you do to make writing (or any work task) more fun?


No comments:

Post a Comment