Last summer I participated in Ready. Set. WRITE! as motivation to get some writing done, and now I’m doing it again this year! It’s a summer writing intensive hosted by Jaime Morrow, Alison Miller, Katy Upperman, and Erin Funk. Goal setting is Monday, June 9th, and the intensive goes all the way until August 25th. Weekly check-ins will be on Mondays, and I’ll be posting about the following things:
1. How I did on last week’s goals
2. My goal(s) for this week
3. A favorite line from my story OR one word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised
4. The biggest challenge I faced this week (ex. finding time to write, the siren song of SNIs)
5. Something I love about my WiP
We’re only writing 2-3 sentences on each post so we don’t spend more time typing these blog entries than working on our WIPs! So without any extra babble, here are my goals for Ready. Set. WRITE!
2. PICK A PROJECT and go for it. I’m bouncing between two or three half-formed summer projects at the moment. I’m trying to find something I can write in conjunction with my thesis in the fall because all the second year MFA students say it helps having a separate writing project to turn to for fun when your thesis drives you crazy. I’ll update further once I decide which to go with!
3. REREAD/REVISE PARTIAL TNW DRAFT (140 pages). I’m slowly printing out and working through the draft I worked on last summer, to refresh my memory and hopefully spark some new ideas. I’m at the point in the draft where my outline thins out and am lacking plot points, so I hope combing back through the draft will help me find some threads I need to continue. Plus I can clean things up a bit too! Ideally I’d like to finish this read-through by the end of June so I can continue writing.
And that’s all! Keeping it simple this summer.
Goals for the Week:
1. Edit chapters 8-12 in TNW.
2. Write a potential epilogue for TNW.
3. Finish decent character outlines for the story idea I'm currently throwing around.
Are you participating in Ready. Set. WRITE? What are your writing goals for this summer?