Friday, October 30, 2020

Review: DEAR MARTIN

Dear Martin (Dear Martin, #1)Dear Martin by Nic Stone
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'm so glad I finally read this book -- actually, I listened to the audiobook. It's short, but it leaves a huge impact. Justyce is arrested while looking after his drunk ex-girlfriend (and preventing her from driving herself home) because a cop believes Justyce is trying to take advantage of her. That night changes Justyce, and he embarks on a project to live like Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in regards to racism.

Style-wise, this book reminded me of minimalism in the best way. Nic Stone doesn't mess around with fluffy prose; there are scenes boiled down straight to the dialogue, because that dialogue? It's what's important. Justyce confronts so much in this book, from police violence to arguments against affirmative action. DEAR MARTIN should be required reading in high schools (along with ALL AMERICAN BOYS).

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment